it’s been a while since I last post my recipe wala… back here again.
Continue reading NYONYA PANDAN KUEH KOSUI
Ingredient for Green custard layer
- 180 g granulated sugar
- 400 g plain water
- 100 g rice flour
- 70 g tapioca starch
- 35 g Hoen Kwe flour
- 300 g pandan juice
- 1 tsp lye water
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
(Layering steaming pan)
- Layer 7 inches square steaming pan both sides with parchment paper.
- Prepare a steamer with water leave to boil.
Preparing the green layer
- Heat up 400 g water, add sugar dissolved until become syrup set aside to cool.
- Combine all 3 types of flour in a mixing bowl, pour in pandan juice, syrup, lye water and salt combine well until smooth without lumps, sieve and set aside.
- Allow it to rest for at least 20 -30 minutes.
Direction for Double boiling
I used traditional double boiling method to thicken mixture to soft custard
- In a medium heat bring batter to a double boiling method keep stirring slowly
- until slightly thickens and soft custard look alike.
- Pour into the steaming pan and steam with medium heat estimated 20 minutes
- Touch the topping and the mixture must are free from wobbles before pouring white layer custard.
Let’s proceed to the next white coconut layer
Ingredient for white coconut layer
- 70 g rice flour
- 40 g Hoen kwe flour
- 500 g thick coconut milk (200 g kara brand coconut milk +300 g water )
- 3/4 tsp fine salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- Combine rice and hoen kwe flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl
- Gradually pour in coconut milk, stir well then until batter are smooth, sieve and set aside to rest for at least 20 -30 minutes.
- In a medium heat bring batter to a double boiling method keep stirring slowly until slightly thickens and pour onto the green layer custard.
- Steam with medium heat for another 15 minutes or until well steam.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Best to use fresh coconut milk but lazy me.. always goes for the easy way. and anyway I am ok with kara cream coconut milk ..make me no different..
- Do not be surprised when it is ready the coconut topping is slightly soft.. let is settle and cool down to room temperature.. patient is what we need.here
- Do not attempt to add more water then as per my above recipe otherwise will be too soft.
- Why do you need to set the batter aside to rest before steaming.? So all the flours will incoporate and blend together well.